What's Your Excuse

“What’s your excuse this time?” the teacher asked. I had to think. “Uh, the dog ate my homework?” I replied hopefully. “That’s the oldest excuse in the book,” the teacher answered. “Detention,” the teacher yelled. “Oh,” I moaned. That’s detention, again. Ding. “That’s the bell, you can all go outside,” said the teacher. Everybody rushed outside. Except me. I was having trouble finding my hat. Then my worst enemy came into the room. HE had my hat. “Give me back my hat,” I demanded. “Go and get it Willy,” he teased, throwing it away. “Don’t call me that,” I yelled, running after my hat. Through corridors, around corners, over heads and eventually my hat landed, right in front of a notice board. I decided to have a look. Everything was boring, just as usual but then something struck me. A talent show. I knew I had to enter. I was the star in my class, at creating and performing plays. All I needed was a friend. Yes, I could use Glen in my play.

As soon as school finished I rushed home and told Mum I wanted to compete in a talent show. My friend Glen was in. I jumped on the site and signed us in.

I sped to the talent show around corners, around people and I even jumped over someone’s head. When I arrived Glen was already there. In the distance I even saw my enemy. My enemy! What was he doing here? I had to beat him. He was first up. His act was pretty impressive and I knew mine wasn’t that good. I was last to perform and was feeling extremely nervous as I walked up to the stage.

“Phew, it’s finished,” I said relieved. My performance was good, but could it beat Jonny’s? “Third place is Freddy Withenburg,” the announcer declared. “Second place, William Stark,” he announced again. No, I hadn’t won. I just stood there, open-mouthed. I hoped Jonny hadn’t won. “1st place is, drum roll please… Jonny Copla,” the announcer revealed, even louder than before. He won. Salty tears slowly poured down my face. “What’s your excuse, William Shaaark?” Jonny taunted, grinning. I looked up wiping the tears from my face. “Ahhh… I forgot to get my pills from the doctor,” I replied nervously. Everybody laughed. Why were they laughing? I was still standing on the stage with the microphone in my face. That could explain why. “I think we have a new winner. William Stark,” the announcer blared. I HAD won.

I was so happy, I was king of the world. I looked over the crowd and saw Jonny. He turned away in disgust. I had to go home! I was late! I pushed through the crowd and rushed home. “I won,” I yelled, running into the house.
I went to school the next day as usual. When I opened the door everybody was staring at me. “You’re late,” the teacher accused. “What’s your excuse?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!