The Magic Wheelchair

“Daniel, it’s time to go to school” says Daniel’s Mum, Margaret. “What, my school?” asked Daniel.
“Yes, let’s go.”
When Daniel goes to class, he introduces himself to the fellow students. At recess, he meets two friends, David and Ronald and plays basketball with them.
“Wow, you’re pretty good” says David.
“Thanks” Replies Daniel.
There is another group of boys playing basketball on another court. Bruno, the best player out the group, looks over at Daniel and gets and bit jealous. Next week, Daniel gets more friends and Bruno challenges them to a basketball match. Daniel was captain for his team while Bruno was captain for the other.
Daniel’s team was leading so Bruno decided to cheat a little bit. He was even planning to hurt Daniel. When Daniel jumped up to shoot a goal, Bruno grabbed his legs and tipped him over. Daniel fell and hit the concrete court right on his back and on his crown. Daniel broke his spine and had to stay in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
When Daniel was about 19, he joined a wheelchair basketball team. He also wanted to get a new wheelchair, so he went to store to buy one.
In the store, he finds a wheelchair which is about $4000. Daniel asks the store assistant “Why is this wheelchair so expensive?”
“That’s because it‘s known to be magic. But its powers only last until nine o’clock at night and starts again at nine o’clock in the morning” replies the store assistant.
“Okay then…I’ll take it.”
Sooner, Daniel does discover that the wheelchair is magic. Later Daniel and his team was in a tournament. Daniel decided to use the magic wheelchair for any tough game.
But today, it was the grand final and Daniel’s team was playing against a very tough team, so he decided to bring his magic wheelchair.
When he came to the stadium, one of his teammates, Kyle, asked “Why do you have such an old wheelchair with you?” Daniel replied “It’s a magic one.”
“What are you talking about?”
“Never mind, you’ll see.”
The players are all set and the referee blows his whistle. Daniel gets the ball first and speeds down the court like a speeding sports car. Daniel’s team is leading by twenty five points while the other team is on five.
It reaches 9:00 and Daniel just realized that the wheelchair is losing its powers. The other team starts to catch up. But Daniel thinks to himself “I just got to do my best.”
Daniel needs one more point to win the match. He doges the opponents and keeps going. He zooms down the court and heads for the hoop. He takes a shot and he scores. His team wins the match and of course the tournament. Everyone cheers for Daniel except the other team.
“Good work” says one of his teammates. “Thanks” replies Daniel.
“But we wouldn’t have won without the magic wheelchair.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!