Goodbye

I stood silently in the back row of the nearly deserted church. Your family saying there last good-byes before leaving through the white flower covered doors. I walked silently up the aisle between the church pews, a cool breeze circling my feet. I reached the coffin, seeing your face made me smile, I touched your face. Your laughter, your smile, those practical jokes we’d play on you brother and his mates. Those late nights you’d call me when you were having a rough day and needed a chat, those awesome bear hugs that swept me off my feet. My smile faded… I felt you face again, so cold, so hard, like a doll.
“You are my best friend, Pete” I whispered as someone from the church walked past, “You always will be my one and only, I love you and I’ll miss you.” I stepped away from the coffin and took a deep breath, this time saying my words a little louder, “I’m sorry Pete, I don’t want you to go.” Someone looked up from their paper work and frowned saying, “There’s still someone here.”
I moved a little closer, “I know you listening Pete” I said a little quieter, “I know you’re still here.” I stood up straight and walked towards the door. I walked a few more steps and called behind me, “I’m going now Pete, please talk to me, you promised.” A gust of wind forced the doors of the church to swing wide open, like a guy pushing his was through a tight crowd, I smiled.
“I knew you’d come.”
The wind settled and a shower of petals fell from above. I watched as each petal settled out in front of me producing a message ‘Goodbye,” It read. I laughed, “Is that all you have for me Peter?” His laugh his smile was all there. He stood in front of me dressed in his black skinny legs and his Bright Pink stripped shirt, his hair neatly spiked and his shoes lightly polished.
“Look at you,” I smiled. He beamed at me.
“Do you like it?” He posed. “So you,” I replied.
“I wish this wasn’t goodbye Meghan” he took a breath, “there is so much more I want to do, so much more time I want to spend with you.”
“Me to Pete but, that time has passed now…” “Don’t say that.” He moved closer to me and touched my face, “I am always going to be here for you and that’s not going to change.” “You’ll never be here to hold my hand or hug me and tell me it’s going to be alright. It’ll never be the same without you.”
“I’m sorry” He sighed and he was gone.
I stood there, arms outstretched, reaching for him. Another breeze blew through the opened doors and I knew he was gone. My hands fell to my side and I stood motionless.
I stepped though the doors and re-entered the world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!