Under The Stars

The house got further and further away as I walked into the forest. I was going for a walk. I hated being cooped up inside with my Mum, Dad and three brothers. I sighed happily as I looked at my surroundings. I loved the forest. It was my favourite place in the whole world. I loved the animals and their fragile ecosystem. I had watched squirrels preparing for winter. While the birds are still out in the freezing snow, how they do that I’ll never know. I kept walking subconsciously, I knew the trails well. Suddenly, something caught my eye. It was a boy, he was laying against a tree trunk on the ground, looking up at the stars. There was something about him that was different from other boys, but I didn’t know what. Then he noticed me, which was weird because most boys ignored me with my plain brown hair and deep-set blue eyes.
He stood up suddenly, and I was aware I had never seen anyone in the forest before, how strange. I was frozen to the spot, terrified, I don’t know this person, I thought. But I pushed the thought from my head, what was he going to do? He looked about 13 the same age as me. But I decided to walk away anyway. “Wait!” I heard an unfamiliar voice say. I turned around, he was running after me. What should I do? “I’m sorry if I scared you,” he said. I wasn’t sure if I trusted him yet but I said “That’s alright, I’ve just never seen anyone in the forest before.” I looked away from him, I had just noticed what was different about him. He was beautiful, I noted with surprise. He had pale skin and startling green eyes, with jet black hair. I had never seen anyone close to what he looked like. “Me neither,” he said. For a moment I thought he had read my mind but then I thought he was probably referring to my earlier statement. “ I didn’t think anyone else came here. I usually come here to think,” he said, clearly trying to make conversation. I wonder why he wants to talk to me? I thought. “Same,” I said lamely, he was doing most of the talking. “What were you doing?” I asked, deciding he posed no threat.
“I was looking at the constellations of the stars,” he said. “Oh,” I said, having nothing to add to this. I had never learnt about the stars or planets. “Come on,” he said. “I’ll show you.” He stepped closer and he was suddenly inches from my face. Then, his whole body went rigid. What’s wrong with him? I thought. I was about to ask him if he was alright when he leaned closer. I thought he was going to kiss me but then I felt a searing pain in my neck and everything went black…
When I woke I was on the forest floor, I could feel the leaves underneath me. The boy was leaning over me, his face anxious. “Are you alright?” he asked. As he said it I remembered the pain in my neck and automatically reached my hand up to it. It felt normal. That’s strange, I thought. I’m sure I didn’t imagine it. “No,” I said angry. “What did you do to me?” He sighed, then said “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to, I just lost control.” What a strange thing to say. “WHAT did you do?” “Well, I don’t know if you’ll believe me but, I’m a vampire. I haven’t had blood in ages but I thought I would be alright. But then I lost control and I…. I bit you. So that means…” he trailed off. “What? Tell me!” I said, anxious like him. “You’re a vampire too,” he said. “So what am I supposed to do? I can’t go back to my family, I might attack them,” I said. “You can stay with me,” he said simply. “With you? I don’t even know you,” I said. “I don’t even know your name. And the first time I met you, which wasn’t long ago I might add, you turned me into a vampire. Imagine what would happen if I lived with you.” I looked into his eyes, they held me and I couldn’t look away. “My name is Simon Barlow, and your name is?” he said. “Courtney Johnson,” I said automatically. “There,” he said. “Know you know me. I don’t know why but you seem different from most people.” “Yeah, well I’m not most people anymore thanks to you,” I said. “Help me up,” I added. He pulled me up and as he did I noticed the difference in my skin. It looked just like his. Then realisation dawned on me. What was I going to do? I would really never be able to see my family again. Suddenly, I was distracted. Simon pulled me into his arms and kissed me. Maybe it won’t be so bad after all, I thought dreamily.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!