A Tale On The Wild Savannah

Finalist in the 'World of Words 2009' competition

Desolation is a word that describes the wild Savannah. Under the torrid sky, zebras sprint across the abundant grassland although there is no sign of a single tree, which could act as a life-saving shelter. Water is a gift, which is acknowledged by all the creatures that have dwelled on the land for generations and more, and only a superior race could manage to survive under the harsh conditions. Beyond the far horizon that seems endless, a flock of birds have screeched piercingly and fly out of sight as if they have sensed the brutality which is to come.

Besides a solitary rock, casting shade, an elderly lion lays next to several cubs, who are frantically jumping around as if they are trying to win a competition and the goal is to seek the most amount of attention from their sire. The hegemony that has been his is waning as time swallows his world. The lionesses are slowly getting up, alerted, by an interloper, and begin to patrol their territory; it is not a comforting sign.

The dauntless challenger soon approaches the pride and the “female guardians” are convulsed by the forthcoming danger then they have immediately retreated next to the elderly lion. The elderly lion has somehow sensed the “smell” of fury and hostility that are lingered in the dry air so his initial reaction is to gather his pride and to prepare for a battle. He has acknowledged a fact that this battle could be the final verdict. The interloper gets closer and closer and naturally, the female lions have established a ring that in the end, only one could penetrate. The extravagant set up, the meticulous preparation and the refined deliberation are all just a joke in the interloper’s eyes because he can not be intimidated by those immature gimmicks; his ambition, power and relentless decisions are all part of his intrinsic characteristics. Consequently, the battle has not lasted long, and it sends a powerful message to the audience that he crown of the pride has altered. This is an ignominious defeat for the elderly lion because he has not lost one ever since the time when he has taken over the throne of the previous ruler.

The murmurs are soon appeared among the pride and a peremptory decision is delivered silently by the interloper who is now the new king. The decision is almost like an order that is delivered by the jury and the punishment is banishing from the community. The elderly lion has given no authority to plea for a position in the pride instead he has given an opportunity to abandon the pride instantaneously. Battered and bruised, the elderly lion takes a one last glance at his pride then he turns. Twilight has arrived along with the downpour, which could be perceived as a ritual conducted by the nature, and as the elderly lion disappears far into the distance his solitary existence has slowly been forgotten by his pitiless family.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!