Koala

An old boat bobbed in the murky water. Rust was beginning to consume it; its motor straining as it snuck closer to a nearby island. The driver, a muscular figure, commanded the vehicle with great skill. Another fit but younger man was on the lookout.
“How are we getting in?” asked the younger man.
“There’s a secret entrance on the south-west side.”
“We just storm the place?”
“No. Too much security. Keep a low profile and stay quiet.”
“Got it,” responded the younger man anxiously.
The men worked for the ASIS (Australian Secret Intelligence Service). Their assignment: to assassinate Fahim Bin Hassof, a superior terrorist group leader living on a nearby luxury island off the North Queensland coast. The men referred to each other as Dingo and Koala to avoid revealing their true identities.
It was Koala’s first kill. His stomach flipped as the boat chugged towards the island. They dropped anchor and jumped off the boat onto the silky sand. An overgrown path led up rocky terrain. Dingo nodded and they began their trek.
Koala sighed in relief as they reached the summit. A multi-million dollar estate lay before his eyes. Both men wore khaki and it was almost impossible to see them as they sprinted across the native bushland that inhabited the island.
“We’ve got to get inside,” whispered Dingo as they crouched behind a bronze statue. “Follow me.”
Dingo eased open the door to reveal the inside of Hassof’s mansion. Massive chandeliers hung from marble ceilings and Koala felt dwarfed by the huge hallways.
Suddenly two muscular guards appeared.
“Where’s your ID?” the larger boomed.
“Right here,” faked Koala as he winked at Dingo. Dingo launched a powerful roundhouse kick at the smaller guard’s head. His temple crunched. The larger guard kneed Koala in the belly and aimed a bulky gun at him. Dingo quickly disarmed him by striking an almighty blow to his head. He fell to the ground, not dead but unconscious.
“Come on,” whispered Dingo. “Someone would’ve heard that.”
The pair hid behind a marble fountain as another security team rushed past them.
“Let’s go,” Dingo murmured. They halted in their steps as they reached a door marked “Fahim Bin Hassof”. Armed with his gun, Dingo kicked open the door and entered the office.
“Well, well, look what the ASIS dragged in,” said Hassof as they entered. He grabbed a small pistol from his drawer. A whip-like crack filled the room. Dingo fell to the ground, clutching his arm and dropping his gun. Hassof took aim again. This time at Koala. Koala spied Dingo’s gun as he dove across the room. He didn’t have much time. He snatched the gun off the floor, took aim and pulled the trigger. Hassof slumped in his chair. Dead. Koala shuddered as he stared into Hassof’s dark pupils.
Koala retrieved a bandage from his Emergency Kit and wrapped Dingo’s injured arm. They jumped out the window and headed into the bushes. No one would catch them now.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!