Race Against Time

Malta 1942
‘Digging, must keep digging’ said Runa Lavatori, a Maltese archaeologist with short grey hair and old ruined glasses. ‘Finally I did it’ he cried as he crawled through the hole and into a small cave where a small table sat in the middle of the room. ‘I’ve finally found the secret detonator of Malta!’ He walked tiredly towards the table and picked up the small, rusted, old detonator and began to cut the wires when there was a gunshot, BANG!! Runa dropped the detonator and fell to the ground not breathing when the German soldier kicked him to see if any life remained in his limp body. The soldier escaped, planting a grenade in the entrance of the cave closing it up once more.
Present time (England)
Thomas walked out of his house and into the sunlight. He was a tall man with short, brown hair and a black coat draped over his shoulders. He reached the museum where he was greeted by the curator. “Hello Thomas my boy, I must show you something that might interest you.” They walked into his office which was small with books and newspapers littering the floor. “Here it is,” he handed Thomas an article in the New England Times. The article said, ‘Police have discovered a small wartime bomb at the bottom of the Eiffel Tower, Police Chief Munson believes it may have connections to the world wide planting of bombs during Hitler’s reign during World War II, investigations were continuing’. Thomas looked up and said, “Book me three plane tickets to Malta for tomorrow!” Thomas called two of his associates to travel with him to Malta. Gary Northope, an inventor who had spiky black hair and Derby Vincent who had long black cornrows and sported a big scar down his neck.
Present time (Malta)
The men arrived in Malta in search of the cave and the bomb that was rumoured to still be buried there. Finding it would mean instant wealth, fame and recognition for Thomas, a major archaeological find. After consulting maps and questioning numerous locals about the exact location of the cave, they arrived exhausted and wet after crossing a lake. The cave was deserted much to their amazement, but not for long! A black truck quickly approached them and a rough looking man with blond hair and about the same height as Thomas got out of the truck. “Long time, no see Hayden!” said Thomas. “Well, well, well so you recognised me little brother, the German government will reward me greatly when I get rid of you.” With that, Hayden pulled a gun on Thomas and forced him into the cave. Walking in stony cold silence they came to a small opening in the cave where the detonator was sitting on a table. Hayden ran to the detonator grabbing it and with that Thomas took a chance and with a massive hit he brought Hayden crashing to the ground. The detonator was booby trapped and explosions rang out all around them. A large rock fell on Hayden pinning him on the ground, “Hayden NO!” Thomas tried frantically to remove the rock. “Sorry.... Thomas...stay strong....I love you....my.....brother” and with that he closed his eyes and died. Thomas started crying and prised the detonator out from Hayden’s hand and quickly escaped from the cave where Gary and Derby were waiting.
The detonator could now be safely returned to the British government HQ where the reward would be waiting for them. ....Justice and peace at last.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!