The Farm


Sally stood staring at the farmer’s gun. She knew where Beth had gone now. Sally thought of her simple minded Ayrshire friend. She herself was a Holstein, but they had gotten on well. She always had enjoyed Beth’s company, they had been like sisters.

Sally thought back to the morning. It had been like most mornings, awakening to the sound of Beth. She was woken most mornings by Beth. Beth always got surprised by the Sun and roared at the sight of it. Sometimes she wouldn’t though. Sometimes she wouldn’t wake up until later. Sally enjoyed those days. This morning though Beth woke her up, roaring as usual at the eternal surprise of seeing the sun appear. Sally snorted, chuckling at the thought of it.

Sally looked up at the farmer, her gaze had drifted down. He was loading his gun. He was a very tall skinny man, always carrying a gun on his shoulder - a browning semi-automatic shotgun – left hand sitting carelessly on trigger, right hand combing his black mane of grease, always looking as if he wanted to kill. He had come to the paddock this morning and left. Sally didn’t pay any heed. Why would she? She and Beth and been staring each other down. Both wanting the same area of grass. Beth had begun to roar at her. Sally didn’t want to stoop down to Beth’s level, but after enough berating she was forced to. Then the farmer had come, interrupting their dispute. Sally and Beth weren’t on speaking terms with their farmer friend so they ran off into the field. After that Sally went to take a nap. Beth stayed awake chomping on her cud, filling her multiple stomachs.

When Sally woke up Beth was gone. She had let out a roar of glee. This made her udderly happy, she could eat in peace. Yet as the hours went by Sally began to get anxious about Beth’s whereabouts. The few times she had been separated from Beth it had been for only a few hours. Most of these times were when Beth got lost on their square field. This time, she had gone to look for Beth, but she couldn’t find her. She looked for hours, calling out to her occasionally only to hear silence. Beth was nowhere to be found. It made her feel as if she only had three stomachs.

Sally started to feel very sad. She missed Beth. Beth had been her best friend, she loved Beth. They had grown up together on the farm. They were happy together, always playing arguing and eating. She felt cold and alone. She wanted Beth back. Sally heard a click and looked up at the farmer.

The gun was pointed at her.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!