A Champions Beginning

They’re coming up the last straight with one hundred metres to go, Midnight the World Champion taking the lead; Midnight’s won the race, off to the winners circle for her. They won, Midnight and Eric won, screamed Tom and Amy together, after all their hard work they won. “Well what are they waiting for, off to the winners circle, come on kids” said Susan “let’s go.”
“OK Mum,” said Tom. “Ok Susan” yelled Amy trying to speak over the crowd.
Hi Eric, I can’t believe you won” said Amy. “Either can I” said Eric “but all I did was go along for the ride, it was all Midnights hard work that lead us to victory.”
Midnight collapsed just as Eric the Jockey and Midnight were being awarded their medals. “What’s wrong?” said the vet, as he came rushing over. “She just collapsed.” “Well, we better get her out of here. Let’s get her into the truck.” It was a long journey home. “Is Midnight going to be alright?” Amy asked Susan.
“Tom, wake up and get into the Ute, I want to see Midnight as soon as possible and I told Amy we would pick her up at seven.”
“Hi Amy,” said Tom. “Hi, have you heard from the vet. Yes, but he only said no to bring the trailer, he wants to keep her for a few more days.
“Great news” said the vet. “She’s pregnant. Running the race was not good for her health or the foals. We will have to keep a close eye on her, no more racing.”
“When’s the foal due?”
“In a few months.”
I can’t believe I didn’t notice when I checked her before the race. I just thought it was that prescription I gave her, so she could gain all that weight she los when she wasn’t eating.
A few months later.
“Its’ a colt, bit small but healthy.” Neighhhhhh! Amy and Tom turned around just in time to see Midnight collapse after giving birth. “Oh no,” said the vet. “This is what I was afraid of. Midnight had a hard labour and she’s dying.” As Amy, Tom and Susan were saying their goodbyes, Midnight faded away. After this sad moment of the champion race horses passing, Amy, Susan and Tom went home, taking their beautiful new foal with them. They decided on a name after all there thinking, Tom came up with a name. “I think Snow Storm because of the wild splashes of white on his pitch black body. That’s a good name, it suits him well. Just as Susan said that, Snow Storm came up to Tom and started nudging him. “I think he wants you to follow him,” said Amy gleefully. So they all got up and followed Snow Storm to the cross country track.
Midnight was not only a champion racehorse but a much loved member of the family and a great friend and would never be forgotten. This is where one champions story finishes and another one begins.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!