Ebony

The mother of Jack, Bella and Lauren burst into the room. Jack’s horse, Jackpot, was a bay, Laurens horse, Ebony was black, and Bella’s horse, Bella, was a palomino. Of all the horses, Ebony was the only one not named after his owner. He was also the youngest horse of the three. Ebony was also the only show jumper. Today he was going to a show.

Outside, the cool air seemed to be tingling with excitement. Ebony snorted and stamped his hoof as Lauren came in, as if to say “where have you been?” “Sorry, boy,” she murmured as she fetched his travel boots. He nuzzled her hair. She put his blanket on and led him into the horse float. Her father came out of the house. “Ready to go?” he asked, rubbing his hands together. “Yep,” Lauren answered. She was always ready for shows. Ebony was a great jumper. “Let’s go then.” Her father was a laidback sort of man. He never worried about anything unless it was really serious. Lauren climbed into the ute. She sat next to her dad. She thought about Ebony. She loved him, and if he ever got hurt, she would cry her heart out. Sometimes she dreamt that he broke his leg badly and had to be put down. Then she would run into the stable in her pyjamas to make sure he was ok.

Ebony was ready to go. He looked about him eagerly, wondering when his turn would come to compete. Lauren came back, grinning. Then with a lot of noise the bell rang, and she swung up on his back and rode into the ring. With his well-groomed shiny black coat, Ebony looked like the champion he was. He went over each jump so easily it felt as though he was flying. Then it happened. Ebony landed on the ground too hard, shifting her position in the saddle. He raced wildly at a mad gallop, and at the finish line he fell down on his knees, unable to get up. Lauren was crying, her father was calling the vet on his mobile, and people were wondering if he’d live. Then the vet arrived and even Lauren tore her eyes away from her beautiful horse.

Ebony looked at his surroundings. He had never been here before. The vet had said he was fine, but had wanted him to stay at the vet surgery. Ebony didn’t like it here. He noticed the door was wide open. Walking as silently as he could, he crept out into a paddock, then jumped the fence. He cantered towards his house, two kilometers away. When he got there, Lauren hugged him tightly, and he knew this was home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!