Angharad

Leroy openly marvelled, like many others, throughout the winding streets of Angharad. Meetings like these were ideal to covertly gather information on politics and affairs. Some topics he’d come across in relation to Angharad had… disturbed him.

Various diplomats, nobles and politicians alike took in content faces, exotic smells and bustling chatter. Perhaps it was the atmosphere. Everyone was smiling.
Well, almost everybody.

The noblemen’s attention shifted from his surroundings to the other occupant of the open carriage. Felix wore a permanent scowl, as if affronted by the picturesque scene he found himself in. He was a perceptive boy, who always was in a perpetual state of disgruntlement.

Leroy was a good judge of character. And Felix was a natural at reading people, with a keen eye for detail. He hadn’t regretted recruiting the boy as an assistant.

‘Not enjoying the City of Love?’ he teased.

Felix’s glare could have combusted wood instantaneously. Leroy prodded people merely to observe their reactions – the previous assistant had quit in tears.

The noble’s eyes roamed like searchlights then settled back on his assistant. ‘So, your first impression?’ His tone was light, unassuming.

The boy grimaced slightly. ‘Something’s off.’

Leroy hummed thoughtfully. ‘This place seems perfect.’
Felix shook his head slightly. ‘It’s unnatural. Just look at the people! Everyone’s exceptionally healthy. Not so much as a cough. They’re all polite, welcoming – beyond basic courtesy towards foreigners. There are no signs of anger, exasperation or stress.’

His eyes narrowed slightly. ‘It’s like any troubles in their lives are just… nonexistent.’

Leroy turned the thought over in his head, wondering at its implications. ‘Very philosophical of you,’ he eventually remarked. ‘Mind you, there have been rumours,’ he continued delicately, ‘about Angharad’s change from a fairly prosperous city with its own problems to a literal paradise. There’s no disease or sickness, the people are among the happiest in the world, and crime a mere myth.’

Felix looked thoughtful. ‘So all the ambassadors and representatives are hoping to find out the secret and bring it back home to create their own utopias?’

Leroy’s gaze darkened slightly. ‘That’s not exactly why I’m here.’
He caught Felix’s quizzical face.

‘In our mental hospital there’s an old man that was on Angharad’s council years ago. Racked with guilt, he confessed a disturbing tale. Apparently a practitioner passed through, and in exchange for some artefact, banished all the famine, sickness, discontent and negativity from Angharad.’
‘He couldn’t just remove them!’ Felix protested incredulously.

Leroy’s mouth thinned. ‘He didn’t have to. He simply moved them into a human vessel. A living sacrifice, carrying the darker, unwanted aspects of humanity.’

Felix stiffened. A hand clenched tightly.

‘The masses are oblivious to the situation’ Leroy continued, feigning unawareness at the change. ‘If they suspect anything, they don’t say. Ignorance is bliss. However, the current councilmen might play some part behind the scenes, so let’s see what we can dig up, shall we?’

Felix was silent.

Both were, on the looming cloud of a task ahead.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!