The Flood

“It isn’t fair,” Tracey sobbed onto her mother’s shoulder. Their mansion had just been flooded by a tsunami.
“I know, I know,” her mother tried to comfort her, but nothing would work. Tracey had lost her pet dog in that tsunami, since he had been on the bottom floor. She had also lost her older brother, but no amount of crying would bring him back. She had cried for hours, non-stop and she was still crying now.
“We’re going where?” Tracey screamed at her mother. Their mansion had been flooded of course, and had rotted the timber, which had caused the bottom half to topple over.
“Uluru,” replied her mother calmly.
“But,” Tracey stammered.
“No buts,” said her mother, “It’s final.”
“Why can’t I go live with dad?” cried Tracey.
“Because,” her mother yelled, starting to get angry.
“You are not going to go live in Hollywood and become a famous movie star! You are coming to the country with me to become a country kid.”
Tracey’s jaw dropped.
“You do NOT decide what my fate is,” Tracey said, tears streaming down her face. “That is my job.”
“Go and pack your bags,” her mother said, ignoring her.
“Ahhh!” Tracey woke with a snort.
“Almost there,” mumbled her mother. “Just 3km from here,” she said pointing at a location on the map.
Tracey looked around her. The view wasn’t very impressive. It was all just red dirt, rundown huts and one or two dead trees.
“Are you sure it’s worth it?” asked Tracy, yawning.
“Of course is it is,” her mother replied cheerfully. Tracey sighed and fell asleep again.
Tracey woke to find herself on quite a big bed, which smelt like chickens and its mattress felt like it was made of straw.
“Tracey!” yelled mum, storming into the room, “Time to get up!”
Tracey groaned while she searched for her alarm clock. 5:00am.
“Great,” she remarked tiredly, “Coming!” Tracey screamed.
Tracy’s mouth popped open when she saw how much work had to be done.
“You can start by cleaning out the shed, while I milk the cows,” explained her mother.
Tracey sighed as she walked towards the rundown shed.
‘This is going to take some getting used to.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!